PURPOSE AND SCOPE
This is a full-time (40 hours/week) position as an AmeriCorps member of the YouthBuild Rockford AmeriCorps program. The Construction Skills Trainer position is responsible for helping to build and guide a team of youth capable of safely building and refurbishing YouthBuild AmeriCorps houses designated for low-income individuals. In addition, the member will provide support, guidance and encouragement in the development of youth leadership and personal development skills.
- Build and maintain positive relationships with all students
- Teach basic construction skills
- Teach proper use of all tools
- Be responsible for overall safety enforcement
- Keep track of all tools and equipment used on the job on a daily basis
- Assist in personal and vocational counseling and development of trainees leadership skills in conjunction with other YouthBuild Rockford staff
- Serve as public ambassador for the program, YouthBuild USA, and AmeriCorps.
- Participate in YouthBuild Rockford, YouthBuild USA, and AmeriCorps training, service projects, and other activities
- Assist with the planning and/or implementation of a project on a designated national day of service such as September 11th National Day of Service & Remembrance, Make A Difference Day, Martin Luther King, Jr. Day; Global Youth Service Day and AmeriCorps Week
- Promote the value of service on the construction site
Must be at least 18 years of age, have a high school diploma or GED, and be a US Citizen, US National, or lawful permanent resident of the US.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
- Knowledge of construction practices and experience in construction.
- Interest in and commitment to sharing expertise to assist in the skill-development of program youth.
- Skilled at taking initiative, problem solving, and working independently
- Skilled at building interpersonal relationships and to work/serve effectively as part of a team.
- Strong verbal skills, to communicate effectively with staff, volunteers, and community groups.
- Skilled at written communication, to develop program materials and reports.
- Dependable and able to maintain positive attitude, to fulfill commitment to term of service.
- Committed to the concept of national service and to making a difference in the community.
- Basic computer literacy, to be able to produce program materials
- Able to react to change productively and to handle other tasks as assigned.
The Construction Skills Trainer AmeriCorps members receive a living allowance of $12,530 paid out over the term of service and health insurance if they are not already covered. Members may also qualify for child care allowance.
Upon successful completion of service, members receive an education award of $5,775. Other benefits include student loan deferment, professional training, valuable networking opportunities, serving with a dedicated team of AmeriCorps members and staff, and the opportunity to make a real difference.
Full-time AmeriCorps members at CCS/ YouthBuild Rockford are allotted 160 hours of approved time off during their term of service. Time off beyond 160 hours is granted at the discretion of the Community Service Coordinator.
We consider applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected status. Reasonable accommodations are available on request.
The Construction Skills Trainer AmeriCorps member reports to the Community Service Coordinator of Comprehensive Community Solutions, Inc.
This position has recurring access to vulnerable populations.
If interested, please send a resume to Paul Rouhas, Community Service Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org or submit one in person to 917 S Main Street, Rockford IL 61101. If you have any questions regarding this position, please call 815-963-6236x232. We would like to have this position filled by 6/30/2017.